What is Retargeting & How It Will Help Your Business

What is Retargeting?
Retargeting is a form of online advertising that can help you keep your brand in front of shoppers who have already visited your website.  For most advertisers, only around 2% of shoppers purchase your product or services after one visit to your website.  Retargeting brings back the other 98%.  Retargeting works by keeping track of people who visit your site and displaying your ads to them as they visit other sites online.

 

How does it work:

 

Retargeting is a cookie based technology that places a simple JavaScript code on your website.   This allows 5 Star Media Group (or other retargeting vendor) to anonymously follow your audience all over the web.  Since 5 Star Media Group works with the largest ad exchanges, we can retarget your customers just about anywhere they might go online including Facebook & Twitter.

 

Why Retargeting is Good for your Business

 

Retargeting is effective because it focuses your online advertising investment on prospects who are already familiar with your brand and have recently show interest.  That’s why most advertisers who use retargeting see a higher ROI that most digital advertising options.

 

How to Use Retargeting Most Effectively

 

  • Segment your visitors (ie prospects who looked at dining room sets vs living room sets) and tailor the retargeting ads show to each group.  Dining Room shoppers will see dining room ads while living room shoppers will only see living room ads.
  • Create a good ad.  The best performing retargeting ad has a great offer, creates a sense of urgency and has a clear call-to-action.
  • Use it as part of a larger digital advertising campaign.  Retargeting can help increase sales but it can’t drive prospects to your website.  Your best chance of success is using one or more tools to drive traffic (ie ClarksvilleNow.com; radio commercials & websites; targeted display ads.)  Then use retargeting to get the most out of that traffic.
  • Measure success.  Your retargeting vendor should provide you with stats on ad views and clicks back thru to your website, it’s important for you to track success as well.  If you aren’t using tracking your website analytics, set up a free Google Analytics account and begin tracking site visits.  The majority of internet users do not click on banner ads so relying on click thru rates as your only measure of success is limiting.  Track how many visitors are returning thru your site directly or thru Google.  If you see an improvement in visitors and visitor loyalty during your retargeting campaign, you’ll know the campaign is working.

 

Interested in getting started?  Contact me, Sande Cox, Director of Digital Media, today.  931.648.7720 or scox@5starradio.com